The Research Report Show podcast was officially launched on our Varsity Podcasts platform on 14th March 2017. As indicated in The Varsity Podcasts Story, we had experienced some delays and could not launch in late 2016 so finally going live was a particularly special moment for us.
We released one episode a week over the 12 weeks that followed the launch, with episodes covering a range of research topics such as the Use of Stokvels in South Africa, Energy Poverty in South Africa and Human Settlement in South Africa, to mention all but a few. The researchers we interviewed were drawn from various universities in South Africa, namely the University of the Free State, Vega School of Branding (Cape Town) and University of Cape Town. They were all pursuing postgraduate research – some studying at Honours level and others at Masters level. With regards to listenership, the total cumulative listenership across the various distribution channels ranged from 50 plays – 700 plays per episode.
Below is a list of the season 1 episodes (titles and corresponding links):
- Episode 0: Teaser
- Episode 1: Colourism and its articulation among black and coloured students in South Africa
- Episode 2: Use of Stokvels in South Africa
- Episode 3: Intersectionality within Rhodes Must Fall movement
- Episode 4: Mobile tool to Support Deaf Adults Training in Computer Literacy Skills
- Episode 5: Nation branding in the context of South Africa and Zimbabwe
- Episode 6: Movement of undocumented Zimbabwean nationals to Cape Town
- Episode 7: Urban food systems: Maputi / Puffed Maize production in Harare
- Episode 8: Influence of gut bacteria in infants
- Episode 9: Understanding the Impact of Militarized Conservation on Communities Outside the Kruger National Park
- Episode 10: Measures of Energy Poverty in South Africa
- Episode 11: Human Settlement in South Africa
- Episode 12: Infant Wheezing Illness in South Africa
- Episode 13: Experiences of Shame for Adolescents Diagnosed with HIV/AIDS in Zimbabwe
Now that The Research Report Show Season 1 is done, what is next you may ask? The Research Report Show Season 2! We are currently planning and beginning production of Season 2, which we plan on releasing during the second half of this year. What is particularly exciting is that there are some partnerships we are exploring that may result in access to a wider pool of postgraduate students to interview as well as additional distribution channels. Also, we have started to plan more deliberately about our social impact as Varsity Podcasts and will make the relevant announcements once our plans/programmes are set in stone. Suffice to say, we are positioning ourselves such that each show on our platform will have a social impact aspect targeted at university students from families with a low socio-economic status.
Last but certainly not least, a big thank you to everyone who was involved with The Research Report Show Season 1, especially the interviewees and the listeners. You will be hearing from us soon, well, when The Research Report Season 2 launches that is! Until then, subscribe on our website and watch our Facebook / Instagram pages for updates.
Julian & Tinashe